, , , , , , , ,

I created this post 2 years ago with the intention of writing a series devoted to different procedures. But my woad crops failed and other stuff happened, as per usual, and here we are. So while waiting for black paint to arrive some time in the distant future; in between holiday house chores, I have a bit of green for you.

Just woad

Lincoln green is the name of a colour presumably created by first dyeing with woad, then weld. WIKI I’ve tried a few times to overdye yellow yarn with blue, but it always contaminates the whole dye bath, rendering everything a greenish shade and not so clear blues. This could be my sloppy rinse process, but I have read the same description elsewhere. I’ve yet to get a really deep blue, probably because my ratio of chemicals has been off and some form of contamination or too much oxygen added when I pull out the first batch.

I only use a hydrosulfite vat, since a yeast vat is much too complicated for me to monitor; I just barely keep my sourdough alive from bread to bread.

blue after yellow

I have no idea what exact shade lincoln green is, and I don’t care, I’ve simply decided to use it as a focal point. A glance at a google search says the colour could have been more like olive or even grey, so I’ve declared artistic license. I got fed up with the frenzy of constantly throwing everywhich plant into the pots all summer, been there, done it. And of course the slug infestation making away with much of my gardening, including dye plants. So I’ll be playing with blues, and then I’ll overdye them with yellow. On mordanted and unmordanted yarn, to compare how the yellow takes/holds up over time. And that will be my main plant dye practice for a while.

yellow after blue

This year, despite slugs, I had quite a bit of woad because I found the right time to sow the seeds, and the slugs only eat holes in them, not the entire leaves. But of course, now I hardly have any weld… I ended up dyeing a few blue skeins and then as an experiment used the one huge 2nd year weld which was close to dyeing by mid August for my yellow. It didn’t contain the strong, brilliant dye that I’m used to, but I did get some green shades. I love having a gazillion different greens (in fact I’m a bit peeved when I get 3 of the same shade – but absolutely love the mottled effect), so it will be awesome to compare when hopefully next year I have both plants and get my experiment going a bit sooner in the season.